Custom Search

7 Mistakes that Mom Does While Driving (1)

Posted by my-blogmedia | 7:54 AM | | 1 comments »

Car crashes are the leading cause of death for those ages 3 to 33, and nearly 80 percent of accidents result from driver distractions of just three seconds — like handing a child a sippy cup! Getting organized helps — you’ll spend less time searching for missing cell phones and dropped bottles and more time with your eyes on the road.

Chatting on your cell phone
It's tempting to use free minutes to arrange a playdate, but talking on your cell in a car is even worse than driving drunk. In a recent University of Utah study, the group using cell phones in a simulated environment had three accidents, while those who were inebriated had none. Why? Talking on a phone slows your reaction time (drunk drivers tend to be more aggressive, but they're not impaired the way cell-phone users are).

You're not off the hook if you use a headset. It doesn't matter how many hands you have on the wheel if you're not focused on the road. And while dialing a number is twice as dangerous as talking on the phone, we spend so little time dialing and so much time gabbing that they're equally risky, says Charlie Klauer, Ph.D., senior research associate at the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, in Blacksburg.

So:
  • Don't talk on your cell, unless you absolutely must.
  • If you need to make a call, keep it short. "The longer you're on the phone, the higher your risk goes up," says Klauer. A quick "Hey, I picked up some tacos and I'm on my way home," is okay. But "So I told her that I couldn't find the report, but she just walked away like she didn't even hear me, and then I was like, 'Well, I guess I'll have to write an e-mail to somebody's supervisor!' " is not.
  • When your phone rings, let the person leave a message, and call her back later. Or look for a safe spot to pull over so you can return the call.


(source: today.mnsbc)

1 comments

  1. Unknown // November 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM  

    Thanks for information. The article most inspiratif. Thank you from me.

    RWPBSD | Bimbel Bisnis Online

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.